Sunday, March 2, 2008

identity paper 2nd draft

Naomi DeWitt
Identity Paper
Nicole Hancock
English 101
The Identity of Me, Myself and I
I was born in Atlanta Georgia. I am the fifth daughter and seventh child of a second generation minister. My heritage is Scots-Irish. I am 45 years old and still won’t allow gray hairs to show. I am a wife. My husband and I will celebrate our 22nd anniversary in May. I am the mother of three daughters, Elizabeth 20, Jennifer 19, Caitlyn 16. But this is not all that I am. I am the thoughts, choices and ideas of Naomi DeWitt.
Like most, I had an idea of what I thought I wanted to be while growing up, even though I did change it many times. At first I wanted to travel with National Geographic and take pictures, I also wanted to be a veterinarian but I was not good in chemistry etc.
During my early college years I met my husband and began raising a family. After several years and various jobs I eventually became a dog groomer while my husband went through college and seminary.
My life is taking another direction as of late. My girls are moving on with their own lives and I have decided to let go and start back to school. I am beginning a degree in fine arts. I would like to teach art. I have held a pencil in my hands since I was a child. I love to draw wildlife.
While, I am earning a degree I am also carrying on several other identities. These identities are not always the me I want to be.
When I am at work at All Feeds Grooming I am a schmoozer, a friend, a good listener and a happy employee. In case you don’t know what a schmoozer is the definition is someone who can sweet talk you into believing that you’re baby dog is the sweetest and best dog in the shop. Even though it brings blood to your fingers each time “Precious” is groomed. But they keep coming back with their $40.00 and they take their tail wagging baby home with a bow in it’s perfect hair-do. Don’t get me wrong I love grooming and I love all the dogs that come in. Eventually they all grow to love us with time and patience.
Every day I put on my smock and old t-shirt and greet everyone with a smile. I am a friend and confidant to many of the people who bring their dogs in for grooming. I am the person they can share anything with.
I have Mrs. Riddle who is ninety-five and lives alone who has only the frail little dachshund who also old to fill the void in her life. We tell her that he will get the gentlest of care (and he will). Then she tells about the son who lives in California who never comes to visit her. Some people we have known for years and when we hear of their passing or their dog’s we mourn.
I am a good and faithful employee along with several other groomers whom Roger our boss sees as family. There are days at the shop when my shoulders ache and I can’t wait to get home. I know that I will truly miss it when I no longer work there.
A second identity of myself is that I am the wife of Reverend Thomas DeWitt. He pastors a small but energetic church in Belleville, Illinois. They are down home folks who greet you with big smiles and handshakes. They tell you lots of stories about passed get-togethers, children long raised and how many kids their children have. Also let’s not forget the many war stories fought and won.
And who am I? I am the person who backs up the pastor’s ideas and helps to set up the baby shower for our soon-to-be young mother, the relay for life day, and the new theme for vacation bible school. Am I the cookie person this year or the crafts person?
I put on my best every Sunday and I sit two pews from the front and make sure I take note of my faithful husband’s well thought out sermons. After the service I greet every person before leaving the church building and ask them how they are and their raisin pie at the last potluck dinner was the best I ever tasted.
I take down a list of the sick and tell then they are in my thoughts and prayers (and they are). I am always polite and sincere. There are times that I wish someone else was taking my place at vacation bible school. But then I would miss the hugs and smiles of the neighborhood children who I won’t see until next summer. Do I want to sleep in on Sundays? Sometimes. Would I miss it? Of course.
The third identity I hold is the true me. It is the one who wants to be a good mom but sometimes isn’t. But is still always there for her children through thick and thin, good boyfriend or not, prom dresses that cost too much, their first driver’s license, and the statement, “mom, I am eighteen I can do what I want”.
I am the person who loves gardening with a passion and has thumbed through many a seed catalog before February has even started. I plan out my garden every spring. It is never the same from one year to the next. I like to try new and interesting things, like a red-striped tomato that is sure to taste great or the sweet mama squash that makes the best soup for the fall. While it is still cold outside I start my seeds in small containers for planting. I love watching them emerge from the soil.
I am also a person who is an artist in many areas, paint, pencil, thread and bead. I have drawn since I was a small child. My favorite things to sketch are wild life and nature. I use charcoal and pencil to make produce the shading that makes it come alive. I create brightly colored trout with cross stitch or acrylic paint. Also I love to create colorful and unusual art works and beaded jewelry. Some people have even asked me to design jewelry for them to wear and I love to.
I am the person who likes to travel, go camping and hiking in the woods, treasure hunting for special glass pieces at antique shops, who wants to spend as much time as possible with a wonderful husband. And whose faith is very real.
This is who I really am. I don’t get to spend as much time with the real me. But, it is the best part of my identity.
.

No comments: