Saturday, April 12, 2008

Beverly Lewis Novels

Beverly Lewis , born in Amish country Pennsylvania,an accomplished pianist and award -winning author.I love reading her books as a chill- out read, when I have just a little time to myself. She writes about the Amish. I have read them all.I always wanted to know more about the Amish way of life.The places that I have been and seen the Amish I wanted to just go up to them and ask them questions. I didn't think that was appropriate. The Beverly Lewis books give you a good look at their community. It takes you to a simpler way of life, and gives you some sense of the struggles in a Amish community. I have learned of how they cook, sew, garden and socialize. I especially like the descriptions of the farm lands, gardens , and landscapes .The way they garden is all natuaral ,the same way I like to garden. Like putting roses and tomatos next to each other; they balence the soil out for each other.They also use animal furtilizer instead of a chemical one. I also bought the Amish cookbook that goes with the series .I have tried several of the recipies which are wonderful.The author does alot of research while writing her novels.They are very authentic. She was the daugther of the Plain family heritage which is part of her inspiration. If you like an easy read , her books are very interesting.

No comments: