Monday, February 18, 2008

Naomi DeWitt

Nicole Hancock

English 101

Song Identity Mini Paper

In doing the research for these songs it is easy to get pulled into the scenes. My emotions helped me to identify some with the lyrics. Though I did not understand all that was said,
I felt that I could understand the main idea of each song.
In the song Lithium by Nirvana, I think it is about him self and an on going struggle with an illness in which he has to take medicine to balance out the things in his head. It is a mixture of reality and what he sometimes thinks is reality. It is his inward struggle.
I can relate to him when it comes to maybe having the need to except who we are and realize that everyone has something wrong with them in some way. We all have to deal with our demons so to speak.
In the next song that I choose, Piano Man by Billy Joel was a song I think most of us are familiar with. He is playing in a bar that he has been in many times, because he seems to know the people. He sees their struggle. His playing and his song seem to be what they need to hear. They are not where they would like to be in life, and he realizes his part in it all is for their comfort. Though I don’t frequent bars often; I do no that many people go to bars because of the people that reach out to you there. They carry on conversations, and talk out the latest problem in their lives, a listening ear. People need affirmation .I relate to this song because for many years I have wanted to get more into the art work that I have always loved since childhood. At forty five I am starting an art degree.
In the song Why Georgia by John Mayer I get the sense that he is leaving something behind; a situation that he has chosen to leave, but had some doubt in his decision and maybe even second guessing his life choices. We have all done this. I have asked myself this many times in my life. Should I have had my kids so close together? Should I have waited to go back to school? Sometimes we just have to go by our gut and hope for the best.
I think that sometimes a good song can help us through a tough spot in life. It can

inspire us. It can help us to empathize with others. And most of all I think it can give us

joy.

No comments: